Sunday, September 18, 2011

Saltine Cracker Toffee

Empty cupboards + church potluck = dessert from saltine crackers aka Saltine Cracker Toffee

Sounds about like how life normally goes, doesn't it?  But rest assured, I didn't take something to church that was inedible or just weird.  I actually followed a recipe, which my husband would say is not something I normally do.  Here's the jist:  lay your saltines in a single layer on a cookie sheet.  (I did grease mine with PAM but you could use parchment paper.  Also, I used about 40 crackers.)  Mix together 1 cup butter and 1 cup brown sugar, then bring to a boil.  Continue boiling for 3 minutes.   Pour the carmel mixture out on top of your saltines and spread it out so that it coats all of the crackers.  Bake for 5-6 minutes at 400 degrees.  The mixture will bubble but there is where it does its final cooking so that it turns into toffee rather than a gooey carmel.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips.  Let the chips sit for a few minutes until they are spreadable; then spread the chips evenly over the toffee layer.  Add chopped nuts if desired.  Cool and eat.

This is of course not my own invention.  I've actually seen it in church cookbooks but never tried it until last night when I was trying to figure out what to take.  Cue the empty cupboards and my desire for something easy.  I actually followed the recipe from The Girl Who Ate Everything so head over there for pictures that will make you drool.

No comments: