Saturday, October 9, 2010

Small Victories

Oh, Mylanta!  My daughter has hair!

Okay she's always had hair.  But it's been at this kind of icky, in between stage where no protective styles like box braids, hanging twists, or cornrows looked very good.  She just didn't seem to have enough hair to have little braids or twists that looked right.  They always looked sickly.  And it was so uneven that on almost every style, little hairs would start popping out almost as soon as I said I was done.  Which means it starts looking ratty after a day or two.

So it's been lots of yarn braids and trying to encourage healthy hair by keeping it moisturized.  I also did a pretty good trim a few months back trying to even things out a bit.  It was sad because I knew it would mean that any additional length she had gained would probably be coming off.

But it's finally starting to pay off.  This Wednesday I did her first "normal' hair style:  hanging twists with flat twists across the front.  Hanging twists are such an easy style but we've never been able to do it.  You can still see that the hair around the base of her neck is a bit thin; the twists there are a little tiny and I had to wrap the elastics a lot to get them to stay on.  But look at the ones on the top!  Fat and chunky, just like they're supposed to be.  We're now on day 3 and they're still looking good. 

It's a small victory but it's a good one!


5 comments:

Hilary Marquis said...

Wow! I am impressed :) She looks adorable.

My.3.Gurlz.With.Kurlz said...

Real pretty! I think her hair looks beautiful in her other pictures as well, just natural and free. I see you have a thumb sucker too :) Great job on the hair mom.

Tracy said...

Wow, her hair looks awesome! Avery's hair is not that long or thick. This Thurs is our "sister lock" appt but the price has us re-thinking what to do...

Miss Alissa said...

Hurray! It looks awesome!

Ms. Cee C said...

Oh, this is so pretty and adorable! I didn't notice any thin hair. Its wonderful to see parents take care of beautiful natural hair:-)