Thursday, May 27, 2010

God and Me-Lots of miscellaneous

My brain is kind of full of spriritual hodgepodge, most of which seems to be disconnected and unrelated. But nevertheless, here's what been on my heart.

-One of the KLUV radio personalities has been challenging listeners to take a 30 day, no negativity, no complaining, no grumbling challenge. Hearing this immediately brought to mind a couple of verses like "Do everything with complaining or grumbling" and "Let no unwholesome talk come out of your mouth but only what is useful for building others up according to their needs." Unfortunately, such things do not come easily for me. If you really stop to think about what that 30 day challenge might mean, it's a little frightening. No words spoken in frustration, like the little groans that slip out when your 3 year old drops her hamburger mayo/ketchup side down onto her father's coat which for some reason happens to be on the ground under her feet. No quick comments said under your breath when your husband does something in a way you don't understand. No complaints about a dog that was left inside too long in the morning and piddled on the floor. And if it just stopped there, I'd probably consider myself blessed. Good challenge though, definitely something to think about.

-My kids have been really excited lately for quiet time in the mornings. Kenson is completely in love with the "Talking Tree" story aka Moses and the burning bush. Conleigh only wants to hear the song Father Abraham. Watching them be excited about the great stories of our faith, to know that they are soaking in a rich history of faith is just one of those fill-you-up-with-joy kind of things. It also really encourages me to think about how much I love those stories. To be truthful, while I don't always love spending time with the Lord like I should, those old old stories are like comfort food to my soul. They are comfortable and familiar, full of God's faithfulness, strung with a thread that connects an ancient culture to a risen Redeemer and then to a highly intimate and intensely personal relationship on this side of time.

-Our church's women's ministry has regrouped and is meeting in small groups throughout the summer. My group of 6 ladies met on Tuesday for the first time. I am very thankful to be starting and thankful for each person in my group. Time spent with others in small groups just nourishes my soul. Praising the Lord for my friends, Brenda, Heather, Bev, Denise, Nicky, and Wanda.

No comments: