Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Yarn Braids

Guess what I did Monday and Tuesday?
Pig tails: front and back


Just woke up...she slept on it without a sleep cap all night. We didn't do anything to it; she's fresh out of bed.


I put yarn braids in Conleigh's hair Monday night/Tuesday morning. Yes, it's plain old black yarn. Her real hair is braided into the yarn. At it's longest, the real hair is maybe 4 inches long so the rest is all yarn. It took me maybe 3 hours, maybe a bit longer. Because her head is so small, she only has like 35 braids or so. I also used shorter amounts of yarn because I didn't want it to be too long. I was going for a bit longer than chin length bob, sort of angled longer around the face. So far, I am really liking it. I was a bit concerned about how it would hold up to three year old play and her habit of twirling a braid when she is tired or stressed. So far so good. I haven't seen any of the braids start to look like they are slipping. She thinks it's a lot of fun to have long hair and to put it up in a pony tail. Next time I will use a bit longer pieces of yarn as the back is just a smidge short and doesn't want to stay in ponytails very well. It also isn't quite as long as i would have liked; the yarn isn't quite as pliable as regular hair so it has a tendancy to stick out a bit more which is okay but it makes the overall affect shorter. I also learned that it's really hard to cut the braids evenly when you're all done, especially with a three year old whose head is hardly every still. I am really hoping we get 6-8 weeks of wear out of these. I'm also excited to see how this protective style might help her hair get healthier.




4 comments:

Hilary Marquis said...

Wow! I'm impressed! Conleigh looks absolutely precious in piggytails :)

Sherri said...

Beuatiful. I feel so inadequate in the hair area and feel like my time is so limited to figure stuff out. Thank goodness she like it out! Love the blog look.

Bill and Christina said...

You did a great job!!!! You go girl!

-kate- said...

I did this on my daughter a few months ago. I loved it, but took it out after about 3 weeks because I was not sure if it would damage her hair. She started to look fuzzy too. I was really happy with the results, and I think I will be doing it again soon! How did you keep her hair moist?