Monday, December 22, 2008

One of the things I like least about adoption is...

Emotional whiplash. We have spent the last few days going through emotional ups and downs which have not been much fun. Thursday, we were told Kenson's dossier and passport had been delivered to the USCIS office where they would be approving and printing his visa. We were told to call the USCIS on Friday to see if we had approval yet. Thursday night, I could not sleep. All sorts of things were running through my head. Like depending on how long it takes to get approval we could actually be ready to travel by the end of Christmas week. So I didn't sleep much. I checked airline prices. I made mental to do lists. I felt like things were really going to happen sometime soon.

Then on Friday, I called the USCIS office in Haiti. They said they did not have our passport or dossier which they have to have in order to approve our visa application. Ugh! So I emailed our liason who said she would contact Haiti to see what was going on. That was Friday. No news as of Friday night so I emailed back to check just in case. Still no news. I figured if we hadn't heard anything by Friday night, I probably wouldn't hear anything over the weekend so I just resigned myself to having to wait until Monday to find out anymore. Over the weekend, I've been forced t0 accept that there is a really good chance our dossier and passport may not even get to the USCIS office until after Christmas, two full weeks after we actually had our passport.

And I've been telling myself that the chance of our dossier/passport actually being lost are small and that it's probably still with our processor in Haiti or was not logged in at the USCIS office when the woman I spoke with checked. I worked today and we still had not heard anything today by the time I got home. So I emailed back, asking for any new information. Our liason didn't have any and said they had been trying to find out answers all weekend long. So up and down, up and down, that's how it all goes. Somehow I'm sure this is supposed to make you stronger.

4 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Ugh. It's frustrating.

Lisa said...

I'm sorry Kayla for your frustrations this weekend. Praying they figure things out very soon, and that you find out your dossier and passport have been at USCIS all along, and you'll have I-600 approval by Christmas!

Bill and Christina said...

I am sorry you are having to go through this. I will pray for you.
Christina

Jodie said...

I'm sorry for your frustrations and the emotional rollercoaster. I pray you hear good news this week!!