Thursday, December 18, 2008

Adoption Update-Kenson

Well, Kenson's passport and dossier have been submitted to the USCIS office. I'm not sure exactly when it got there because when I emailed Tuesday it had not yet been done but then when I emailed tonight to ask again, I was told it was already submitted but with no date. For those of you who don't speak Haitian adoptionese, the next part is for the USCIS office to approve a form called an I600 which is essentially an application for a visa to enter the US. I have no idea how long it will take to get I600 approval. Hopefully, it is quick. We were given a checklist when we filled out the form of things that this office needed to approve our case and all of these things have now been completed or are sitting in their office.

Once we have I600 approval, we will have to get a visa appointment for Kenson and then his visa should be printed. Again, I have no idea on time frame. Christmas is next week and I don't know for sure when the offices close. D printed off a sheet that says they are only closed for Christmas Day but who knows. But we're guessing a couple of weeks.

We would really like to be home before the first of the year for selfish, tax based reasons. We will be able to claim an adoption credit on our income taxes and we are not sure if Kenson comes after January 1 if we will have to wait yet another year to claim this credit. This sounds silly to quibble over a year but in 2008 I was employed full time and we will owe much more in taxes than we will in 2009 where I will be staying at home. And we would of course have liked to have been home like yesterday for personal, loving on my baby reasons.

Anyway, we're making progress.

2 comments:

Bill and Christina said...

I hope and pray it happens quickly.
Christina

Leslie said...

It would be awesome if he is home, but you can still take the tax credit if the adoption was completed in 2008. :)