Monday, December 29, 2008

I600 approval

I called USCIS today to check on our I600 status. I was told that our I600 had been approved. They are supposed to be emailing confirmation of this soon. (If I don't hear anything by Wednesday, I will call again.) Our parent liason told us to go ahead and contact the Embassy to schedule Kenson's visa appointment. So I emailed them and got a generic reply back. (ie if you don't hear back from us in three days, please resend your message) Hopefully, we hear something before three days have gone by. It has been wonderful to hear that we have I600 approval because, although it doesn't routinuely happen, people can have their I600's denied and then their whole adoption is in jeopardy. Hearing that we have approval has lessened that small burden for me. We would love to hear that we have a visa appointment scheduled before New Years but I don't know that that is feasible. I also don't know when they will be closed for New Years. The website says just New Years Day but since that's on a Thursday, I'm wondering if they will take January 2 off too. We'll see. But soon we will have a visa.

We don't have travel dates yet as we are going to wait to make them until we know Kenson has a visa. D is taking time off of school and if we head to Haiti and then get stuck there waiting for a visa, he would be using part of his adoption leave to sort out paperwork rather than spending it at home being with Kenson. So even though I wish we could leave tomorrow, we'll be staying put for awhile. Again, soon, we'll be going...soon.

9 comments:

Terry said...

Amen! And I think you are wise to wait...soon, very soon...and then we will all celebrate! Terry

Jodie said...

I agree you are wise to wait. I'm glad you got your I-600 approval!

Stephanie said...

Yay for approval! And "boo" for waiting ... but soon there will be a homecoming worth celebrating. God bless!

Kathy Cassel said...

Hope everything comes together quickly.

Lisa said...

Yay! Praying the remainder of your wait is VERY SHORT!!! I'm so excited for you!

I understand waiting until he has the visa so Derek doesn't have use his 12 weeks waiting rather than spending time with Kenson. My work told me that adoption-related time off even before they come home has to count towards the 12 weeks, so I have to be really careful how I characterize things. The trip in March will be a "mission trip". Funny, they don't make pregnant moms use their 12 weeks for prenatal appointments...

Amanda said...

How VERY exciting!!!

Heather said...

AWESOME! Can't wait to hear you have VISAS! It will be SOON!:)

Love,
Heather

kayder1996 said...

Lisa,
Perhaps the worst thing I have heard regarding adoption came from the old superintendent of our school district. Way back when, when we started getting serious about adopting and were looking at foster/adoption situations, I asked to meet with our administration to discuss leave. That was because at that time, we would have been taking kids in as foster care, with only the potential of adoptive placements and I wasn't sure how that would work for leave. Anyway, I was asked if leave was granted and then something fell through and our child ended up not being adopted by us, how the school district would be able to recoup their lost monies since they would have paid for a leave that ended up not working out. I am thankful I was able to respond because at the time, I felt like I had been punched in the gut. But I managed to say something to the effect of, I hope you would not ask someone who experienced the death of their infant son or daugher, after they had taken a maternity leave, the same question. Anyway, not intentional meanness or spite but just insensitive.

Juli said...

oh, kayla, soon he will be in your arms forever! im praying you get that appt soon. i never got an email back. i had to call.