Friday, July 8, 2011

Musically Inclined

My kids are music kids.  I think part of it stems from their Haiti lives where music has a way of surrounding you. So many of the images I have of Haiti are actually connected to sound.  The steel drum band that you hear when you debark the plane and enter the airport.  The busy city noises that echo an American city, full of car horns and motorcycles zipping in and out of traffic, yet uniquely Haitian because of the cries of hens and roosters destined to become somebody's supper.  And for my kids, I believe they spent a lot of time being sang to or at very least, hearing the sounds of others singing.  Both of my kids came home knowing songs and music has always lit up their faces.

So it shouldn't be a surprise that they gravitate towards music.  Sometimes, it's songs we know and recognize.


And othertimes, it's something we've made up.  Kenson has a song with the lyrics "I love everything in the world.  I love tigers.  I love cows.  I love bears."  It's a bit of a neverending ditty as the objects of his affection often change.  However, Conleigh's song from last night probably takes the cake.  The lyrics were very simple and oft repeated.  "My bagina is full of pee."  Oh.  My.  Goodness.  Let's hope she doesn't decide to use the Walmart checkout line as the perfect practice spot.

No comments: