Monday, July 18, 2011

Cukes and beans and zucchini! Oh my!

Can I tell you how excited I am about my garden this year?  I used a three sisters model which my friend, Rebekah, told me about and crammed a lot of stuff into my space.  Two kinds of tomatoes, sugar snap peas (which are more of a cold season veggie and are done for all practical purposes), sweet corn, green beans, zucchini, and cucumber.  I also have carrots, lettuce, and some herbs growing in pots.  Just in general, it all looks healthy and not like the usual half neglected garden I end up with.

This week marks the first of the summertime harvesting so the last few nights, we've gotten to enjoy product from our garden.   The other night, D was out of town and I wasn't feeling too hot so I opted to make zucchini patties for a light supper.  Shredded zucchini from the garden, mozerella and parmasen cheese, onion, salt and pepper combined with some eggs and flour to hold it all together, fried 'til crispy on both sides.  Kenson ate three of them all by himself.  Very easy and doesn't taste vegetabley which is high on D's list.  (Too bad he wasn't here to eat them.)

And two nights ago, we had cucumbers and green beans alongside our cavatini.  The cucumbers made into the old ranch dressing based salad but the green beans I grilled and actually got positive comments from D who is none to keen on green beans.  I kept the beans intact except for the ends, put them in a large ziplock bag, added olive oil along with seasonings (salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and minced garlic), shook to coat them, and then used my tongs to grill them on my indoor grill.  In my husband's defense, he did tell me he only had three so if he actually ate four, it might have turned them into a negative experience.

No comments: