Saturday, December 11, 2010

3 and 4 year old Brains

3 and 4 year olds are a hoot, I tell you!  The things they do and what must run through their little brains that is actually never said or acted upon...

A few weeks ago it was playing school.  Apparently their preschool teacher has been working on the Pledge of Allegience with them.  They decided to use a pillow my mom made that has an embroidered flag on it and use it as the flag.  One person played teacher and the other was a student.  But it was not a one student school.  They took puzzle pieces and laid them out on the floor to be the nametags of the other students.  The teacher would stand behind the desk and hold the flag pillow.  Then he or she would pull a nametag for a helper to come and hold the flag while they said the pledge.  It sounded something like this.  "S-P-A-E?  Who name is dat?"  Then they would say the name of someone from school and the student would pretend to be that person.  My all time favorite moment was watching Conleigh act a the teacher and head out to the classroom to correct one of the imaginary students who was not saying the pledge correctly.  She took his little imaginary hand and quickly said in a perfect teacher voice, "Frank, hand on your heart.  Like this."

This week, my kids played going to Haiti.  The flight included Baby Julie (our black Cabbage Patch dolly) and a monkey.  Not sure how he managed to get onboard without being stuck inside someone's shirt as they went through customs but he was apparently well behaved on the flight.

They also came downstairs  one night this week while I was making supper in nothing but their underwear.  They were quite pleased with themselves.  Since our house is old and drafty (read-cold enough to make snot icicles), I told them to put their clothes back on.  When I went upstairs five minutes later to check on them, they were still in their underwear but when I heard their rationale, I resigned my previous position.  They were swimming.

I'll leave you with a few one liners...

D has started soccer conditioning so on the days where I work, I've been picking up the kids and heading to the high school to wait for the hour or so of conditioning.  The kids run in the gym, watch girl's basketball practice, and draw on the assistant coach's white board.  As we were leaving, the soccer boys just finished meeting and were dismissing for the night when one of them said something to D like "See ya later, Dawg!"  To which I replied, "Go home and get your homework done, Dawg!"  To which Conleigh loudly protested, "Dem people, not dogs!"

And overheard at Wal-mart today, an almost a joke but not quite via Kenson..."What you call a car with no lid?"  (The answer in case you're curious...a convertible.)

No comments: