Thursday, July 1, 2010

Runza Time

Tonight we enjoyed a uniquely Nebraskan dish: runzas. It's kind of like paying homage the European roots that most Nebraskans claim. Essentially it's a meat pie with hamburger, cabbage, and onion filling. We even have a uniquely Nebraskan fast food chain that serves runzas as one of it's mainstay dishes. It's of course called Runza.

I think I've finally found a runza dough keeper. The recipe uses a mixer to beat the yeast dough which is kind of an oddity. But the dough came out light and didn't have the heaviness that sometimes you associate with doughs. I still haven't found the perfect filling recipe. I added cheese (Velveeta) to the one in this recipe but wasn't over the moon about it. It's good but I think there's probably a better one.

No comments: