Saturday, July 31, 2010

Pink fire truck cakes and other birthday business




We celebrated Kenson's 4th birthday a bit early so that we could celebrate with our extended family. I am really not a big gift giver. I take that back...I love giving gifts. I hate "having" to give a gift. I would much rather prefer to give someone something they really want or a non tangible thing they will enjoy. And I'd much rather do it just because I want to not because it's their birthday, Christmas, etc.. And I really don't want my kids to become gift junkies who only anticipate holidays because of the gifts.

That said, D and I decided we would borrow a tradition from a family we know. They let their kids have 3 wishes on their birthdays, not necessarily 3 gifts. I really like the idea because it encourages kids to share what they'd really like and often times, it doesn't even make them think about gifts. With Kenson, if we would have let him, his 3 wishes would have been a pink fire truck cake, eating at Grandma and Grandpa's and candles. We figured the candles kind of went with the cake so we asked him to pick something else which became the wish of a guitar.

So pink fire truck cake it was...don't ask me where that came from! And we ate supper at Grandma and Grandpa's with Uncle Jared, Uncle Tim, Aunt Sheree, Brenna, Quinn, Alissa and Grandma 2. D and I got him a guitar and he got a few other goodies too. (Coloring books, sidewalk chalk, a bowling game, Toy Story dominoes, a farm set, a slip and slide and some money to use on buying some outside play equipment. We have played with every thing now and love the farm set, dominoes, and slip and slide. The other gifts we like, but we really do LOVE the ones I just mentioned.)




3 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

It looks like a lot of fun.

Tracy said...

GREAT idea. And love the cake!

christiancari said...

I love the 3 wishes idea!! Something to tuck away... :-)