Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas

Kenson's first Christmas home...what a blessing to experience a moment we've waited so long for.

He has been generally not sure of the whole Christmas deal. Giving and getting presents, Santa and reindeer, the Baby Jesus story. He's got bits and pieces but is still not sure how all of it works. He went with D a few weeks back to pick out a present for me. As soon as they picked me up from my shopping following their shopping, he promptly pointed to the sacks and told me 'There's candy canes in there for you, Mama!"

Those candy canes would come in to play later as we visited my mom and dad's/aunt and uncle's house. As we left for Christmas Eve, I went over the night's events with him. Going to church, eating supper at my aunt and uncle's house, and opening presents. To this, Kenson wanted to know what was in the presents to which I had to say, "I don't know. That's the fun part." At the church service he was thrilled to find a picture of Baby Jesus on the projector screen and kept talking about it loudly. Then when the minister mentioned Baby Jesus, Kenson quickly perked his head up from his toy cars and again loudly repeated the Baby Jesus words. At my aunt and uncle's we enjoyed supper and lots of new goodies including a toy ambulance (the hit gift so far) and a plethora of Little Debbie Christmas tree snacks for my hubby who happened to mention he liked them which means he now owns about 5 boxes of them. On Christmas morning, D and I reminded Kenson that Santa was maybe coming and that he should go check the living room. The stockings were stuffed with semi matching gifts for Kenson and Conleigh: monkey pj's, books, baby bottles, and my personal favorite-recorders. After that, breakfast and more presents from my folks and Uncle Jared. When hearing there were more presents, Kenson wanted to know if the packages contained candy canes, I suppose thinking of the package he wrapped for me.


We are now enjoying a blizzard complete with howling winds and snow. Our plans were to go to D's family this afternoon and tomorrow but I think we're staying put. I 80 is closed from Grand Island east and, while it doesn't affect us, there is a whole county in Nebraska that has every road closed. My father-in-law said the drifts in their driveway were shoulder high. And a couple places on the news were reporting 8 to 10 foot drifts in spots.

2 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Merry Christmas!

It is VERY sad to realize that our kids may not even be home NEXT Christmas with the way things are going right now.

Not trying to be down, just realistic as far as Haitian adoptions go.

Kenson will be an old pro by next year.

Katy said...

What a blessed day to finally celebrate with your little guy. Praying next year, our girls will be with us.