Tuesday, March 26, 2013

5%

Every once in a while, some choice I made in parenting makes me smile a thousand times over because I think I might actually have done it right.  I mean, if I had to estimate, I'd say about 70% of the time, I think I did okay.   25% of the time I know I could have done a lot better.  That leaves about 5% for the times when I feel like I actually knocked it out of the park and hit a home run.

Last fall, when Zeke came home, Conleigh felt very left out.  Kenson was infatuated with the new little boy and Conleigh's best friend forever (Kenson) suddenly had a new, cooler friend.  She does not usually do change well anyway and it was a bit rocky.  She had quite a few nights in a row of early bedtimes because her daytime behavior was just so terrible.  Instead of making those nights feel like punishment, I just took her to bed and did our normal bedtime routine just with her (instead of with all 3 kids).  Then I sat with her a bit before she fell asleep and reminded her many times over that "You are loved.  You are special.  You are made by God."  I was hoping to hit the heart of the issue which was insecurity over Zeke.  At the time, I was just hoping it was the right button to push and really didn't get much confirmation that I had done that.

Fast forward to tonight at bedtime.  Kenson was out with D for a walk so I read with the other two, sang a few songs, and put them in bed.  Zeke has been in this total funk about bedtime and naptime, crying and wanting a grown up to rescue him.  I think it is worse when he has to lay down in bed without Kenson being in the same room which was the case tonight.  So Zeke started his fussing and across the hall, I hear Conleigh's tiny voice saying, "Zeke, it's okay.  You are loved.  You are special.  You are made by God."  

Oh sweet girl, your heart is apparently soaking it all in.  Thankful for the 5%...

4 comments:

Rose Anne said...

What a good big sister she is turning out to be!

Door to Bangalore said...

Wow, that story made tears well up in my eyes. I love the simplicity of your statement.

-Travis

midaia said...

So good. That's awesome.

Library Learner said...

I'm so glad you are writing this down in your "online journal". Hang on to that 5%, it will help you through the 25% you're not sure of.