Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Jen Hatmaker's Seven


Thoughts from Seven:  An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess

What things represent excess in my own life?

Jen focused on clothing, shopping, waste, food, possessions, media, and stress as areas she feels prone to excess.

It is easy for me to pat myself on the back and say "I don't have a huge DVD collection.  I weed through my closet often.  I don't hoard books or kitchen gadgets or knick knacks."

But the reality is I know there is excess.  My shoes?  (I have maybe 30 pairs which to some sounds like a lot but to others sounds like a reasonable amount.)

My clothes?

The stuff that's stored in my basement?

And mostly I wonder about money.  Does a cash stockpile honor God?  Does retirement planning honor God?  (I know the theory behind retirement planning for Christians.  Save not just to provide for your own needs but so you can give a generous gift later.  Or save so you are in the position to give freely instead of being unable to give because you have spent it all.)  But does amassing a hefty savings account eliminate an element of trust in God?  And does it become hoarding as you watch others go down in flames around you, while you sit on comfortably on your nest egg?


No comments: